Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Top 5 YA Family/Parental Figures

This Top 5 topic came to me after reading Split by Swati Avasthi. Besides the character from that, I had to think pretty hard for other candidates for the this list, considering so much of the YA I've read has been paranormal, where our main characters are orphaned with alarming frequency.
________________________________________


Mirriam from Split

She wasn't actually related to Jace, but she had a maternal role. If it weren't for her support, Jace wouldn't have grown so much and he and Christian would not have become so close again.



Ken Dietz from Please Ignore Vera Dietz

Because of his list and flow chart contributions to the book. Lists! Flow charts! Automatic awesome!
Plus, I really liked his blunt, hard-working personality.


Clara's dad in Stay

Because he was uber-supportive. Clara's abusive ex-boyfriend was threatening her and he let them just up and leave. He dropped everything to help her.


Lily's Great-Aunt Ida from Dash & Lily's Book Of Dares

Perhaps just because of this conversation Dash had with her:


“Is Lily home?” I asked.
The woman settled down across from me and laughed.
“Who’s to say I’m not Lily?” she asked back.
“Well,” I said, “a few of my friends have actually met Lily, and I like to think they would’ve mentioned if she were eighty.”
“Eighty!” The old woman feigned shock. “I’ll have you know I’m not a year over forty-three.”
“With all due respect,” I said, “if you’re forty-three, then I’m a fetus.”

And it just gets funnier, but the conversation is crazy-long and I don't want to quote PAGES.


Hannah from Jellicoe Road

Hannah had an incredibly sad connection to Taylor's family, yet she took care of her in their stead no matter how heart-breaking it would have been to see her parents in her. Plus, Jellicoe Road was such an amazing book I just had to include someone from it here.

_________________________________

So, who are your favourite family/parent figures in fiction? Do we share any?