Friday, June 24, 2011

Faves of 2011 (so far!)

This thing was Nomes's (from Inkcrush) thing first. You've probably seen this thing around a lot, and that's because her things are GOOD things. Same goes for her blog. Follow it!

And if you didn't guess from Graphic Left and Title Above, this thing is about highlighting our favourite reads from this year so far.

*drum roll while I go find a list of my reads from Goodreads*
1.     Favourite book read so far in 2011.

I can't answer this! I have favourites for different and non-comparable reasons. Points 2-20 will show some of my favourites for different reasons. (No more cop-out answers, I promise!)
2.     Most powerful book.

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion.
A book that told an inspiring story about life through the eyes of someone dead.
3.     Most brilliantly funny.
Beauty Queens by Libba Bray.
If you've read it, you understand. And if you haven't, why not?!
4.     Best ache-y, heart-breaking, tear-jerker read.

On The Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta.
You've all already read this and I was painfully behind so I'm not even going to explain. You know why.
5.     Most beautiful story.

Alaska by Sue Saliba.
Everything about it just just gorgeous.
6.     Favourite rainy day comfort read.

Putting Makeup On Dead People by Jen Violi.
Such a fun, sweet book. Complete with an adorable cover.
7.     Best tense, adrenalin-filled, unputdownable award.

Nothing by Janne Teller.
Not exactly an action novel, but wow, INTENSE. 
8.     Most beautiful prose award.

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion.
Every second sentence had me stopping, re-reading, thinking either "that was really clever" or "that was really nice".
9.     Most atmospheric and vivid setting.

The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab.
The setting was perfectly described and so pretty. Also a contender for the next one:
10. I-so-want-to-go-there award.

Bright Young Things by Anna Godbersen.
Guys! The Roaring Twenties! Silky dresses and jazzy music!
On an unrelated note, my birthday's coming up, and I'd really love a time machine.
11. Most original and imaginative.

The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan.
The story of a relationship and it's ups and downs told through 'definitions' in Levithan's trademark beautiful style.
12. Best under-appreciated, hidden-gem book.

Choker by Elizabeth Woods.
A quiet psychological thriller told in haunting, foreshadowing prose. This debut needs more credit!
13. I-had-no-idea-I-would-love-this award.

Alaska by Sue Saliba.
Verse? Nature? Not exactly my favourite things. But this novel was just incredibly touching.
14. Most haunting story.

Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott.
In the days after reading it, I was suspicious of every man I saw on the street. Such a scary book.
15. Outside-of-my-comfort-zone-but-gosh-I-loved-it.

The Dust Of 100 Dogs by A. S. King.
Pirates. Caribbean curses. Life as a domestic pet. I definitely wouldn't call it something I'd usually go for. But damn, it was good!
16. Series that I'm loving.

Morganville Vampires. I've read books 8, 9 and 10 and even met the author this year. Perhaps the only vampire stories I can stomach (Peeps an exception), and they just keep getting better!
17. Most memorable voice award.

Bee from A Pocketful Of Eyes by Lili Wilkinson.
Or maybe I just find her memorable because she reminds me of me...
18. Completely awesome premise award.

Revolver by Marcus Sedgewick.
About a boy, alone with his father's frozen body and harrassed by a threatening 'old friend' of his father's, struggling with the decision: do I use the gun or not?
An emotional look into the ramifications of killing, even if it's the only option.
19. Would make the best movie.

The Demon's Surrender by Sarah Rees Brennan.
Ryves brothers, on screen. Being badass. Anyone find that unappealing? No? Thought so.
20. Want to re-read already. 

Stealing Heaven by Elizabeth Scott. So sweet! Plus, watching Bridesmaids has given me a temporary new appreciation for policemen love interests. :P





Do we share any favourites? What are yours?

So many format fails, but this a LONG post. So many pictures to manoeuvre around. Plus, I'm lazy.